October 6, 2022 - At the October Board of Education meeting, five schools were recognized for outstanding work with Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS).
Caroline Career & Technology Center, Denton Elementary School and Ridgely Elementary School earned all seven achievement badges that are awarded by Maryland PBIS. Colonel Richardson Middle School and Colonel Richardson High School both received six badges.
Supervisor of Pupil Services William Allen said, “Thanks to the support and leadership of the PBIS teams at each of our schools, students are able to make good choices and enjoy a positive school climate. It’s a pleasure to see these schools in particular achieve special statewide recognition for their efforts.”
About Maryland PBIS and the Recognition Process:
Schoolwide PBIS is a system of support that involves proactive strategies for defining, teaching, and supporting appropriate student behaviors to create positive learning environments. Through PBIS, a continuum of positive behavior support is implemented for all students in both classroom and non-classroom settings. Teaching behavioral expectations and rewarding students for demonstrating them is a much more positive approach than just reacting to misbehavior with discipline. The purpose of schoolwide PBIS is to establish a climate in which appropriate behavior is the norm. (www.pbis.org)
In previous years, PBIS Maryland recognized achievement with bronze, silver and gold award levels. In 2020, due to the pandemic, recognition was restructured to award Badges of Success. Those badges are:
- Teamwork Makes the Dreamwork: This badge provides an opportunity to highlight how the PBIS team, whether in its existing or modified composition, continued with team meetings (virtual or in‐person) during the COVID‐19 pandemic.
- The Power of Teaching: This badge provides an opportunity to highlight how the PBIS team was innovative in leveraging teaching and acknowledgement strategies to support staff and students during the COVID‐19 pandemic.
- Our Classroom, Our Community: This badge provides an opportunity to highlight how teachers and staff were innovative in pivoting effective classroom practices and procedures to support remote, hybrid and in‐person learning during the COVID‐19 pandemic.
- Community Connections: This badge provides an opportunity to highlight how the PBIS team has intentionally engaged families, students, community and faculty in the development and/or modification of PBIS.
- Instructional & Restorative Responding: This badge provides an opportunity to highlight how the PBIS team was innovative in the use of proactive, instructional and/or restorative response procedures during the COVID‐19 pandemic.
- Data on My Mind: This badge provides an opportunity to highlight how the PBIS team has continued to review high fidelity implementation and valued outcomes during remote, hybrid and in‐person learning during the COVID‐19 pandemic.
- Tier 2: This badge provides teams an opportunity to highlight how the PBIS team has continued providing Tier 2 supports to students during this school year.