The Apprenticeship Program provides students with paid, mentored, real-world learning opportunities!
The program is open to Juniors and Seniors ages 16+. It’s a great fit for students who:
- Are eager to learn real-world skills for your future career
- Have a good work ethic and are responsible
- Would like to offset some classroom time with work experience
- Would like to earn while you learn!
The Apprenticeship Program includes one credit of relevant classroom education and a minimum of 450 hours of PAID work experience.
Get paid. Get mentorship. Get ahead.
Participating in an apprenticeship gives you a serious head start on your career. It provides in-depth, hands-on, real-world experience. You’ll have time to experience what your chosen career path is really like. You’ll build your network, which could lead to future full-time employment. Best of all, you’ll do all of this while getting paid!
HOW TO APPLY
The following checklist will help you navigate the application process:
- Select a position from the current list of openings
- Complete your application documents:
- Youth Apprenticeship Program Application
- Cover letter to employer
- Teacher evaluation form OR Letter of recommendation
- Submit all documents to your apprenticeship coordinator (Mr. Cook)
SEARCH OPEN POSITIONS
Contact Mr. Cook if you’re interested in learning more about the Apprenticeship Program. He can help you navigate the application process and get you started on your new career path!
email@example.com | 410.479.0100
BENEFITS OF APPRENTICESHIP
An apprenticeship gives your child a head start on their career. They will have the opportunity to develop skills and build their professional network -- all while being paid a sustainable living wage. They will develop the work habits and responsibility that will make them attractive candidates for future jobs.
As guardians, you play an important role in your child’s success with the Apprenticeship Program. We ask that families and guardians be available to:
- Meet with the Apprenticeship Coordinator to discuss the position your student is interested in and clarify any questions or concerns
- Ensure your student has reliable transportation to and from work/school
- If hired, participate in Signing Day to celebrate your Apprentice and sign the Apprenticeship Agreement
WHY HIRE AN APPRENTICE?
Hiring an Apprentice gives you the opportunity to begin developing tomorrow’s workforce the way you would like. Only qualified students who have demonstrated responsibility and enthusiasm about the position are eligible to participate, so you can have confidence in your new hire. Throughout the year of working together, your Apprentice will make meaningful contributions to your business at an affordable wage. In a best case scenario, your Apprentice will have been so successful that you’re able to extend ongoing or full-time employment at the conclusion of the program!
APPLICATION PROCESS FOR BUSINESSES
The application process to become a participating business is easy and you’ll have guidance every step of the way. Steps in the application process include:
- Meet with Caroline County Public Schools and the Maryland Department of Labor (DOL) to review the program
- Apply to DOL to be an approved employer
- Develop a training plan
- Create a position description to post
- Interview interested student applicants
- Hire Youth Apprentice
- Work with CCPS Apprenticeship Coordinator to complete an agreement / training plan